Day 38, and I bring you my second installment of ‘Tips From Friends.’ Sometimes the best, most actionable advice for healthy living comes from the people around you.
Today’s tips come from my friend Erin, a Bay Area native. It’s quite rare to meet someone who is actually from here- so many people living in San Francisco are from other places. This is something that makes San Francisco super interesting to live in, but it’s always nice hanging out with someone who has the inside scoop on the fun things to do – both in the city and the surrounding area.
Click to picture below to watch the video. We even caught some of the Blue Angels practice in the background. Really cool! The Blue Angels come to SF for Fleet Week every October – basically an air show, with lots of stunts. There are also a lot of sailors in town as part of this…it’s a fun time for everyone! 😉
If you don’t want to watch the video, here are her tips.
1. Take advantage of the many steep staircases in the city
- The Lyon Street Steps, in The Presidio, are Erin’s favourite and the most well-known. (Erin was the second person to mention these to me this week. My friend Isabel wants to start a regular run there)
- You can run or walk them – it’s all good exercise
- It’s great for people watching!
2. Eat Californinian fresh produce and take advantage of companies like The Urban Pantry
- The fresh fruit and veg in California is second to none, so take advantage
- Use companies like The Urban Pantry, or Plated, who will deliver you organic food, all portioned out, so it makes cooking super easy! (I am definitely doing this – it will make cooking on tired days a lot more manageable)
3. Attend sporting events for motivation to get active
- There are so many amazing sports teams in the area (Go Giants!)
- Whenever Erin attends a game she’s super motivated to get outside and pick up a ball or tennis racket and get active (way better than drinking beer and eat hot dogs, which would probably have been the first thing I would want to do!)
Food and Exercise
- Breakfast: Blueberries, Chia Seed paste (delish),greek yogurt, some granola, pineapple, coffee
- Lunch: Salad with baked salmon
- Snack: Banana
- Exercise: Barry’s Bootcamp. Intervals. Lots of steep intervals.
- Dinner: Gluten free pizza and salad.
- Comment: Good day all round – the pizza was healthified. And I went to the cinema and had no snacks, which would have been the norm!