I’ve been doing the 100 Healthy Day Challenge for a full month now. 31 days of making a ‘concerted, dedicated and publicly documented effort to be healthy.’
However, taking an honest look back at my posts, I’ve decided that rather than applaud, high five and/or fist bump myself, I actually need some tough lovin’. I’mma open up a can of whoop-ass on myself.
There have been some highs, that’s for sure. My zucchini noodles for a start – I was immensely proud of those. Saying no to cupcakes in work, was a huge win, (especially because they were from Kara’s Cupcakes in Palo Alto, and they had a banana cream one. I love banana stuff). And I love all the exercise classes I’ve been trying.
But for the most part, it’s been a catalogue of challenges and failures and small, daily slip ups. Hangover-gate, burrito-gate and of course that week of utter granola carnage.
It’s just dawned on me that, whilst I’ve been making an effort to make the healthy choice where possible, I haven’t been putting any concerted effort into it. I’ve been exercising my will power when I’ve needed to, but I haven’t been going out of my way to make sure I’m leading as healthy a lifestyle as possible.
Let me give you some examples.
Exercising will power:
- Choosing the healthy option when out for dinner
- Saying no to bread with brunch
- Saying no to ice cream, dessert or sweet things when on offer
- Only having one glass of wine at dinner, rather than sharing a bottle
Where I could have made a concerted effort:
- Going shopping for the picnic in Dolores Park to ensure I had healthy options
- Making time for dinner before a date
- Food prepping in advance to account for those times when I’m too exhausted to cook
- Buying healthy snacks for those late night munchies after a night out
- Having healthy snacks at my desk to ward off granola cravings
A dedicated healthy lifestyle takes a lot of work – prepping and planning, shopping and scheduling. You can’t be half-ass about it. (Soz, I think I’ve over-used the word ass in this post.)
I can see now why so many people fall into living such un-healthy lifestyles. None of us have time for it! We’re all too busy! Have you ever found yourself answering the question ‘How are you doing?’ with ‘Ohhh, you know, busy!!’ Shocking.
But, are we ever not busy? What the hell are we busy doing? Why do we prioritise all other things over a healthy body?
So, going into my second month, I’ve decided to get my lazy ass (one more ass for good measure) into gear and make time for my healthy lifestyle.
This will include:
- Doing a weekly food shop so I have healthy food in the fridge
- Buying snacks for those late night post-drink munchies
- Making a big dish of something healthy (eg curry, soup) and freezing it
- Bringing healthy snacks with me wherever I go
- Booking my exercise classes in advance
A little more effort will mean a lot more gainz!
Any other tips out there?
Food and exercise
- Breakfast: Greek yogurt, apple and pear
- Lunch: Omlette with tomoatoes
- Snack: half an apple and 8 almonds
- Dinner: Spaghetting squash with puttanesca sauce and chickpeas, glass of win
- Exercise: None – it’s the day of rest after all! I got into my work out clothes though, Nearly there!