For a while now I’ve been battling some serious sugar cravings. Have you ever experienced this? The ‘can’t sit still at your desk, about to claw your nails down your face or throw someone down the stairs just to get to the granola jar faster’ kind of feeling.
When I first started the challenge I didn’t suffer from this at all. I actually wrote a post on Day 13 about the evils of breakfast cereal and boasted about the fact that I was able to breeze past the jars in work, and not be tempted to grab some.
Oh how cocky and naive I was!
What happened? Why am I suddenly afflicted like this? What was I doing differently back then?
Thinking back, I was more motivated, certainly – I was all keen to do the best job I could with the 100 Healthy Days Challenge. All the enthusiasm of someone starting out on a new project.
But I don’t think motivation, or lack thereof, is the reason.
What I really think was different was the water I was drinking. I was making a massive effort to drink water and herbal teas – nettle, dandelion and mint predominantly.
So, as an experiment I decided to drown myself with water and tea today. I constantly made sure I had a bottle of water and a herbal tea on the go. I probably drank more than I would normally, or felt like I needed.
And, good news – I didn’t have any sugar cravings today! I was once again able to breeze past the granola jar, mentally giving it the middle finger and a big #$% you. I’m hesitant to start the celebrations just yet. All too often I think I’ve solved my sugar issues, only to find myself nose deep in a cereal bowl.
Let’s just call this an interesting observation. And let’s just try it again tomorrow and see how we get on.
This is going to be my strategy for upping my water intake:
- Keeping a large glass of water by my bedside and drinking the full thing as soon as I wake up in the morning.
- Whenever I have a coffee, I’ll make sure to have a glass of water with it. Italians do this in bars all the time!
- Drink water flavoured with natural fruit – we have lots of this in work. The new thing is basil flavoured water. Kids these days!
- Carry a bag big enough to fit a bottle of water and make sure I have one when going out.
FYI – I also tried the below things as well, which apparently have an impact on blood sugar and sugar cravings.
- I did not eat any fruit
- I started taking a good probiotic
- I started taking Omega 3s
- I put cinnamon on everything!
- I upped the protein and healthy fat amounts in my salad – extra chicken, avocado and added in pumpkin seeds and olive oil
Fingers crossed we can have another good day tomorrow!
Food and Exercise
- Snack: 10 almonds
- Exercise: 45 mins spin with light weights
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (made with olive oil), steamed egg whites, chia seeds, steamed mustard greens and kale, raw peppers, large coffee with half and half
- Lunch: Green salad, with chicken, avocado, olive oil, apple cider vinegar
- Snack: Hummus with crudites – including PURPLE CAULIFLOWER
- Dinner: Kale salad, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato, cannelini beans, goat’s cheese, olive oil and apple cider vinegar